Blog Post Ideas For Beginners [With Examples!]
Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. This means if you click and purchase an item, I may receive a commission.
Beginner bloggers, looking for blog post ideas? You're in luck because I'm going to share with you my tricks for never running out of blog post ideas.
Rather than coming up with new blog post ideas all the time, it's way easier to just write about your niche in different ways.
So in this blog post, I'm not going to give you a long list of blog post ideas. I thought it'd be more useful to share some different blog post types instead.
By using these 12 blog post types you will never run out of blog post ideas ever again.
BLOG POST IDEA #1: LIST POSTS
Learn how to write list style posts and you're going to get a lot of traffic to your blog.
List style posts generate lots of traffic because of their usually clickable headlines. The reader knows it's a good link to click on because they're going to get answers fast.
List posts are highly scannable and allow the reader to scroll quickly to find the help they need.
List posts are going to make up a good portion of your content. You can create a list post in 5 easy steps:
With a list style post, the headline is everything. I use Thrive Headline Optimizer to help me create highly-clickable headlines.
Take these headlines from Buzzfeed for example:
- 23 Kids Who Are Totally Nailing This Halloween Thing
- 28 Ingenious Things For Your Dog You Had No Idea You Needed
- 24 Things That’ll Make Any Food Lover Shed Tears Of Joy
These headlines are totally clickworthy! But you don't have to go all Buzzfeed and create outrageous headlines either. Just make what you are delivering more exciting.
Here's some blog post ideas you can use if you have a food blog:
- 11 Delicious Meals You Can Make On A Cast Iron Skillet
- 19 Useful Kitchen Tools To Take The Stress Out Of Cooking
- 7 Recipes You've Never Heard Of But Need To Make
Just make sure you can deliver something useful to your readers in an easily consumable manner.
Tailwind is the Pinterest-approved scheduler I use to help bring traffic to my blogs. If you use this link you can schedule 100 pins for free without needing to enter any payment information.
BLOG POST IDEA #2: THE HOW-TO GUIDE
You are an expert on your niche and now it's time to show it. The purpose of a how-to guide is to get Google traffic and to establish yourself as an authority within your niche.
This is where you get to shine. Do not mess the how-to guide up: they need to be as awesome as you are.
Do some preliminary research on your how-to guide to start.
When people perform a Google search they are almost always asking "how to do something". A how-to guide is the perfect way to capture this valuable traffic.
Here are some examples of how-to guides if you're running a dog blog.
- Everything You Need To Know About Potty Training Your Pets
- How To Groom Your Dog Like A Professional [How To Guide]
- The Ultimate Guide To Making Money As A Dog Walker
You can show Google how important your how-to guides are by linking to them from all your other content. This type internal link structure is helpful for SEO purposes to get this type of post to rank.
Before you write anything, use a keyword research tool to find a keyword to rank for in Google. I use Long Tail Pro to help me find keywords worth writing about.
With Long Tail Pro I get valuable data like keyword popularity and a difficulty score to rank for that keyword. There's also built-in competitor analysis so you can see how and why the competition is ranking for any given search term.
BLOG POST IDEA #3: TOP BLOGS IN YOUR NICHE
With a "top blogs" type of blog post, you are going to make a list of the top bloggers in your niche.
Do a Google search for blogs in your niche. For each site you want to compile the following information onto a spreadsheet:
- blog url
- blog title
- headshot (or logo)
- name of the blogger
- their twitter handle
- topics they write about
Add the information you collect onto a blog post and voila you're done! This type of post practically writes itself.
The beauty of this idea is that it can be done many different times for a sub-niche smaller than yours or for a larger niche that encompasses yours. Let's say you have a real estate blog. You can do the following posts:
- The 10 Best Real Estate Blogs In [City]
- The Top 14 Mortgage Blogs Of [Current Year]
- 31 Home Improvement Blogs You Need To Be Following
This type of blog post is the best way to get backlinks. Contact each blogger and let them know they made your list. Then ask them for a backlink from their blog. It won't work every time, but you will get quite a few free backlinks. Winning!
BLOG POST IDEA #4: LIST OF THE BEST RESOURCES OR TOOLS
This next blog post idea is a real money-maker - and they are so easy to create.
You probably already have a bookmarks folder full of useful links regarding your niche. Don't hog up those precious resources, share them!
As an added bonus, if any of those tools you use has an affiliate program, join and add your affiliate link.
This blog post idea is absolutely perfect for inserting affiliate links while not appearing spammy.
Here are some blog post ideas for someone with an SEO blog.
- 5 Best Keyword Research Tools For Pro Bloggers
- 9 SEO Tools Every Serious Blogger Needs To Use Daily
- 8 Awesome Tools To Track Your Google Rankings
If you're having trouble coming up with a list of resources, Google your "your niche + list of tools". Go through these lists and curate them, choosing the ones you want to add to your list.
If you want an example of this type of blog post, look no further than my 55 free blogging tools post.
BLOG POST IDEA #5: BEST APPS IN YOUR NICHE
Let's not forget about apps. Depending on your niche, there could be some awesome apps that are useful to your readers.
If you run a health blog you can create some articles on the best apps in your niche, such as these topics:
- Stay On Your Diet With These 5 Must-Have Diet Apps
- 8 Premium Fitness Apps That Track Your Progress
- 7 Daily Planner Apps To Boost Your Productivity
Contact each and every app you mention on your blog via email and Twitter. Let them know you have featured them and ask them if they could share your link with their audience.
You may end up on their blog, in their next newsletter or with some social media mentions as a result.
BLOG POST IDEA #6: CASE STUDIES
Case studies can be more than just informational, they can be inspirational too. The purpose of a case study is to show how you went from point A (sad face) to point B (happy face).
Here's some example blog post titles that can be considered case studies:
- How I Got A Six Pack In 6 Months Eating Chicken
- What Happened When I Did 250 Pushups For 38 Days In A Row
- I Cut Out Carbs For 2 Months - See What Happened
BLOG POST IDEA #7: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The FAQ post is another favorite of mine. Rather than coming up with one topic with one answer and trying to expand on it, why not come up with a series of questions (and answers) instead?
This type of blog post gets more attention than your typical post since you're approaching the topic from a different angle. Here are several examples:
- 5 Questions About [Topic] But Were Too Afraid To Ask
- 9 Of The Most Frequently Asked Questions On [Topic]
- 11 Questions Every New [Your Topic] Will Have
BLOG POST IDEA #8: INTERVIEWS
Be like Oprah! How can you go wrong? Oprah herself wasn't really an expert, was she? She just invited experts to talk on her show.
So, be like Oprah and interview other bloggers in your niche.
You will always have a source of content if you run an interview series on your blog. This type of blog post is super easy to write - because you're not even the one writing it.
Here's how it works:
By the way, your first question should be: What is your URL so I can link back to your blog?
Your second question should be: List your top 3 blog posts so I can share them with my readers.
Once the bloggers can see the benefit, they will continue to answer the questions and will write the entire blog post for you.
Don't ask yes/no questions or you won't have an interview, but rather a survey.
Here are some sample questions you can ask to get more than just one word answers:
- What struggle(s) did you face and how did you overcome it.
- What was your biggest mistake or regret.
- What was your "aha!" moment where everything finally clicked.
- What tools (or apps or products) do you use every day.
Bloggers love to brag about being interviewed. Once your interview is live on your blog, email them with the link. Odds are, they will link back to you (or offer to interview you) and they'll mention it on social media.
To get more responses create a form for bloggers to fill out instead of asking them to reply to the email.
You can use WPForms to create highly customizable forms using their drag and drop builder.
The best forms are multi-step forms with one question per page. You can use a combination of text boxes with multiple choice radio buttons, checkboxes and drop down lists.
These simple one-at-a-time forms are going to get you more responses and better answers.
BLOG POST IDEA #9: GUEST POSTS
What do you do when you're short on blog post ideas and need new content for your blog? Have someone else write it, of course!
There are lots of bloggers out there who would love to guest post on your blog. What do they get out of it? Exposure and a backlink. What do you get out of it? Fresh content for your blog.
In order to get the most out of guest posts, you need to have strict rules. The last thing you want is subpar content on your blog.
Here are some rules you should have for guest posts:
- Have a word count minimum. The higher the word count the better. I'd say minimum word count of 700 is as low as I'd go. (This blog post is 2,900+ words long by the way)
- Approve the article topic beforehand. Have them send you a list of topics and you pick the one that best fits your blog.
- Minimize the number of backlinks. Say one backlink to their site in the content is fine, one or two more links to sources (if necessary), another link in the author bio and one more to their Twitter profile.
- No commercial links. This one is a biggie. You should stay away from accepting guest posts from companies looking to build their backlink profile off of you (unless of course they're willing to reward you handsomely). Ask guest posters what their link is and make sure you're linking to another blogger in your niche, not a company.
The best way to get guest post requests is to ask for them on your contact page. Using the WPForms plugin you can create a form for receiving guest posts by letting users upload or copy + paste their guest posts directly for your review.
BLOG POST IDEA #10: PRODUCT REVIEWS
When you're short on blog post ideas, reach into the blog post ideas bag and pull out a product review post! Every product (or service) in your niche can and should be reviewed on your blog.
You're an authority in your niche, after all. Your readers would love to hear the opinion of the expert on a particular product.
Be thorough in your review though. If it's a physical product, take lots of pictures from all angles. If it's a digital product, screenshots are a must.
Here are some sample headlines for a tech blog:
- Hands On With The iPhone XS: Best Smartphone Ever?
- Beats Headphones: Are They Worth The High Price Tag?
- Apple Watch Series 4: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?
You can make big money with sponsored post reviews. But when you're a beginner blogger and don't have a large audience, you can still score a free product.
Ask companies in your niche for a free product in exchange for a review. You'll be surprised how many say yes.
Just be sure to state your relationship at the top of the blog post. Something like "I was given a free product for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own."
BLOG POST IDEA #11: PRODUCT COMPARISON
I love a good head to head matchup. Rather than reviewing just one product, put two competing products side by side and pick a winner.
Here's how to write a product comparison type of blog post:
If you run a blogging blog like I do, I can compare these competing products:
- Bluehost vs SiteGround: Which Host Is Best For New Bloggers?
- Deposit Photos vs Pexels: Where Should You Get Stock Images?
- OptinMonster or Thrive Leads: Who Makes Better Optin Forms?
- Mailchimp vs ConvertKit: Who Will Win The Showdown?
Add affiliate links to both of the products who are competing against each other, even the loser!
BLOG POST IDEA #12: PERSONAL STORY POST
Your first blog post was probably a personal story. Don't let it be the last.
When you're all out of blog post ideas, you can always pull out a personal story from your past.
It is totally okay to exaggerate your story to make it more interesting. Nobody wants to hear about your trip to the grocery store where you used 3 coupons. But that trip to the grocery store where you slashed your bill in half and the checkout ladies' jaw dropped? Oh yeah!
Here's some examples of a personal story post for a personal finance blogger:
- How I Paid Off My $42,000 In Student Loan Debt In 2 Years
- Here's What I Did When The Bank Foreclosed Our Home
- How I Grew My Credit Score By 100 Points In A Month
This type of blog post won't get you any Google traffic. It's too difficult to rank for a keyword when you're writing a personal story.
And yet this is the type of blog post that is going to make you the most amount of money. Personal stories are valuable because they allow your readers to connect with you. This is the key ingredient to getting them to join your email list and ultimately buy your products.
YOU HAVE TONS OF BLOG POST IDEAS NOW, SO GET ON IT!
Here’s what so friggin' great about all of these blog post ideas. The content practically writes itself!
Sure there's still work to be done, but the process is so much easier once you have the outline of a post ready.
By using all of these 12 blog post templates you will have an endless stream of blog post ideas for your new blog.
If this post has given you some blog post ideas to write about, I'd appreciate it if you could save it on Pinterest on your blogging board.