Lead magnet 2.0 examples
Lesson 9 Module 3
Lead magnet 2.0's need to be on par with your paid offerings. That's how good they need to be.
Think I'm crazy for recommending you give away so much? Well, how else are you supposed to show that you're the person to help your readers with their problem? By giving them a printable calendar?
Nope, your lead magnet is your best chance of showing them you are the perfect person to help them with this next step in their journey - so put your best foot forward here and overdeliver.
Here are examples of highly-effective lead magnets:
I mean an actual ebook here, not some 5-page report that you call an ebook.
Some actually give away a physical book in exchange for your email (subscribers pay for shipping).
I don't believe in giving away 10% and holding 90% behind a paywall. I'm in favor of giving away 90% and selling the other 10%.
You can create your ebook in Google Docs, Word, Google Slides (what I use) or in Canva.
In Canva, you can make not just your ebook cover, but the entire ebook.
Once you're done, export as a PDF and upload it to your website.
Create a 3, 5, or 7 day eCourse. A course is the perfect type of opt-in to offer if you are selling or planning to sell a course down the line.
To deliver this lead magnet just provide a link to the free course in your welcome email.
The more you can "lock in" your readers into a commitment, the better for your open rates. And a challenge does just that.
With a challenge you tend to educate and encourage participation. This could mean having users join a Facebook group you set up for your challenges.
You can create your challenge as a series of blog posts (or pages). You can then email subscribers a link to the pages each day of the challenge.
If you want to keep these pages off Google, you can noindex them with the Yoast plugin.
Video training or webinar
While a course covers a broader topic, a video training (or webinar) will specifically address one problem.
Video is a huge shortcut to gaining trust with your audience. It lets the subscriber see there's a real person who cares and is eager to help them.
One drawback of having a course as your freebie is that it feels as if it requires a time commitment. A video training, on the other hand, provides a quick win.
To deliver this to your audience, add the video on YouTube and set it to unlisted. Then you can embed the YouTube video into a new page on your website.
Using a quiz as your lead magnet has multiple benefits. Aside from higher conversion rates you also can build a more targeted list.
You can use Thrive Quiz Builder to build your quizzes.
A quiz consists of:
1. The splash page (where they click to start the quiz)
2. The questions pages where the user tests their knowledge or shares their opinion.
3. The email signup form to receive their results
4. The results page
If you want someone to become a part of your ecosystem (and you should), give away a pack of files, not just one.
You can then set up a password protected page where you host your resources and give the password to subscribers.
For a lot of my students, their first product is a printable pack geared toward busy moms. It's a good first product to create because there's a target audience (that's sizable) and has a need.
And as their lead magnet, they offer a free printable.
But this isn't good enough.
While you're going to get email subscribers, you're not going to get customers.
In fact, it can be doing you more harm than good. If you want your readers to buy your printables pack, you need to over-deliver so much free value that they trust you with their wallet.
if you're looking to create printable planner pages, Canva has hundreds of templates to choose from here.
Shortcut to finding a great lead magnet
If you're stuck at this step, here are a couple of shortcuts to break through and get started creating your freebie.
1. Look at what top bloggers in your niche are doing
They've already done the hard work of A/B testing to find the best offer. If you have a similar audience, their freebie ideas will also work for your audience.
2. Give away what you're currently selling
Choose your lowest-cost product and use that as your lead magnet.
3. Give away your time
Depending on your niche you can offer a free 15-minute consultation, which skips creating the actual freebie altogether.
How to know you have a good lead magnet
Here's how to determine if you have a good lead magnet. Ask yourself these important questions:
1. Is something people would be willing to pay for?
2. Does this help my ideal reader actually solve a problem?
3. Would they save it on their desktop or print it out?
4. Is this freebie so good they'll share it with someone?
If you answered yes to all of these, you're all set.